Friday, July 5, 2013

Break our hearts for what breaks yours

Today we visited Brises Del Mar. As I was riding through the barrio I could here kids in the distant shouting, "landon! landon!" out of no where three familiar faces came running up to the car. It was Tato, Miguel, and their cousin whose name is too long to remember (but I'm trying). They are kind of the outcasts of the neighborhood. Other kids make fun of them and call them "dirty" but to me, I've never met such joy filled children. Their parents don't attend church, but that doesn't stop them from going. They have little food, but they still offer what they have to me every time I see them. I am so thankful that God has placed them in my lap.

While walking down the road with the three, I came across a boy named Ellian. He is both deaf and mute, but can say maybe 1 or 2 words. They said he would never be able to speak, but hey... that didn't stop him from trying. Today it was difficult to keep him quiet haha! He shot down a bird with a slingshot and was yelling and laughing and showing everyone what he caught. 

As we continued down the road, we met a little boy who had been left outside by his parents. No one was home and he was about 2 years old. He had wet himself and was just sitting in the middle of the road. I still picked him up and spun him around. His facial expression of fear instantly vanished and a huge smile spread across his face. 

These group of kids have broken my heart. They are so happy and so joyful and deserve to be liked, deserve to speak and hear things and have parents who won't leave them, but what I have come to understand is that if we let God break our hearts for what also breaks his, we can be opened up to more things than ever before. These kids stories have broken me, but the fact that they still smile, laugh, and look at life positively grows my heart and strengthens my faith so much. It also shows me that even the least of these can have more than those who are better off than them. 
Tato

Miguel



No comments:

Post a Comment