Sunday, June 2, 2013

Special heart for special needs

Today was a very relaxing day for the Lykin family and I. I got to visit his church which had an amazing church family and a wonderful style of teaching. They taught in a way that reached out to both the youth and adults and brought them closer to Christ. 

After church, We returned to the house and I was able to meet some of the Lykin family's neighbors. One little boy by the name of Alex had special needs. Physically he was 9, but mentally he was about 6 years old. What I find very sad is that most people in the D.R. find children with special needs to be cursed or "dirty". No one has been taught how to actually care for children who have this illness. Marcos and many other missionary families who live down here have a heart for people like Alex, but everyone else treats them very differently.

I have a special place in my heart for kids like Alex. Although I am not very skilled in communicating with children with special needs, they fill me with joy. I have a family member who has a small case of autism, but is so spiritual and joyful that it is literally contagious. My cousin is constantly putting everyone above himself and does a better job at his faith than I ever could. Although he is very sick and may not have much longer to live, he takes living life to the fullest on a whole new level. He doesn't do daring tasks, but rather takes the time he has to minister and reach out to others through his faith. He may be physically weak, but his heart is stronger than ever. People like my cousin... people like Alex.. give me hope to one day be as fearless and strong in my faith as they are on a day to day basis. Praise God for reminders like them. Praise God....

No comments:

Post a Comment