Sunday, June 30, 2013

There will be a day

It has officially been one month since I have left the comfort of my home and moved here where the broken meet the broken. To say that my life has been changed would be an understatement. I have seen and witnessed some breathtaking things and met some very amazing people. I always have to remind myself ,however, to not look at all the bad in this country. Yes, there is alot of heartbreaking stuff that occurs down here, but there has also been things that have mended some much needed areas of my heart.

While walking down the street and seeing children digging through garbage I have to remind myself that those children will most likely feed those in their family first with what they've found and then see what's left for them. While seeing a young boy doing work that an adult should be doing 
I have to remind myself that he probably doesn't have a father and is doing what he can to support his family back at home. When I see very skinny women or girls selling fruit or other types of food on the side of the road, I have to remind myself that they are willingly selling food rather than falling into prostitution.

If you look at this poverty long enough, you'll begin to see the hope that lies within it. You'll meet some amazing people who literally have nothing, yet have anything they could ever need.

She sat down with me and began to explain why she had that hurt in her eyes. I can't remember her name, but her story will stick with me until I die. She lost her husband 4 months ago and while dealing with her grief, she lost her son to sickness. While battling immigration paperwork and money to feed her two kids, she was diagnosed with cancer. She was left with no other options. She had no money to pay for dinner let alone hospital bills, so she became a prostitute. One day she attended a church service. The pastor called her up and knew what she was battling, so he prayed for her sickness to go away. A week later, she went back to the doctor to find that her cancer had gone away.

He was a police officer waiting in the back of a very long line for a clinic a mission team was running. Marcos spotted him and began a conversation. The man had told him that he had very bad vision problems and that this would be his only day to be looked at, for he had work the rest of the week. By God's grace he was taken to the front to be seen. There was only one pair of glasses that could fit with how bad his sight was. When the man placed the glasses on his head, a smile appeared accross his face. He then walked outside and began to weep shouting on the top of his lungs, "I can see! I can see!" The man spent the rest of his day taking in God's beautiful creation.

I see many torn up hearts in this country, but every now and then I come across people like the ones I explained in this post. It makes me leap in my heart because they understand. They understand that even if they have close to nothing, there will be a day where they will have everything. They understand that even if they have no one, there will be a day where their father will be their one and only. They understand that even if they are hungry, there will be a day when there will be no such thing as hunger. That's the faith we all need to have and hold onto. we all always seem to ask the question "why God" when we hear stories or meet people who are poor, but what we regret to understand is that some of these "poor" people have never even asked that question because they are too busy praising God for loving them when no one else would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment