Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Young and the Selfless

The past two days have been very humbling and emotionally unbearable, but unbearable in a good way. This week, I helped a mission team work a medical clinic and Vacation Bible School. The first thing that came to mind was KIDS! For some reason, God has given me the gift of connecting on a emotional and spiritual level with children and teens, and I jump at the chance to get to help out kids. 

I met a group of poverished young boys this week who stole my heart. It wasn't by how cute they were. It wasn't because they were funner to be around. It was because of their humblness and selflessness they had inside themselves. I have all my needs taken care of here. I have food, shelter, and water. 

Yesterday, after the VBS team finished they went home, but I decided to stay until the medical team was done with exams. During that time the group of boys invited me into their homes. They offered me drinks and food and had me sit down as they stood. They had me meet their families and gave me things. 

My heart instantly broke in so many pieces. They have very little and decided to share with me  the little that they did have. I learned a thing or two from them. I learned that no matter what, to live life selflessly. Even if that means going without water for a couple of days just so a guest could have something to drink. Even if it means giving up your lunch for the day just so someone else doesn't have an empty stomach. 

 Here I was thinking I was the one giving to the needy, when I was the one in need all along. It isn't all about having food to eat or water to drink. It's about the inside of your heart. I have met people who are richer than I will ever be yet don't have shoes to put on their feet. They get it. They understand that objects and worldly things don't redeem you. God redeems you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment